From the Principal
I am very excited about all the learning experiences we will have this term. We have already celebrated ANZAC day and Mother’s Day and still have a number of exciting times ahead.
ANZAC Day and Mother’s Day have a lot in common: we honour those who have demonstrated love and sacrifice, courage and endurance.
True love and sacrifice means putting other people first,their needs above their own and serving them, even if it is costly. Our ANZAC service is men and women who were willing to lay down their very lives out of love: to fight for the freedom we have in Australia and can enjoy now. Our mothers love their children and are willing to sacrifice their time, energy and resources to ensure their family is nurtured and protected.
A self-sacrificial love for people is a foundational element of the Bible. Jesus demonstrates how to love God and therefore to love others. Now the sort of love shown by Jesus is much more than a warm fuzzy feeling. Jesus tells us, 'Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends' (John 15:13). True love means putting other people first, their needs above your own and serving them, even if there is a cost.
The core of the gospel is this: Jesus loved God and people that He willingly died for us. Humanity was separated from God due to sin and deserved punishment. Yet Jesus, the Son of God, loved us and therefore went into battle against sin and was victorious by dying in our place. Jesus sacrificed His life so that we could be saved, have relationship and peace with God.
"This is how we know what love is. Jesus laid down his life for us, so we ought to lay down our lives for others."
(1 John 3:16).
Woolworths Earn & Learn
The Woolworths Earn & Learn program gives school and Early Learning Centres around Australia the chance to earn amazing school equipment. In 2017 we had over 15,000 schools and Early Learning Centres involved, and delivered over 300,000 new pieces of equipment to kids all over Australia.
Here’s what to do:
Collect - Between 1 May and 25 June 2019, collect as many stickers as you can.
Stick them on the sticker sheets and give them to your local school or Early Learning Centre. Or drop them into a collection box in store.
Don’t forget, you can always download and print extra stickers at woolworths.com.au/earnand learn
Student Health, Wellbeing and Attendance
As we come into the cooler months, some illnesses begin to appear. At Australian Christian College we are committed to supporting the health and wellbeing of our community. Please be aware of the following:
Sicknesses can spread quickly at school. If your child is unwell, please keep them at home. Children within our school with immune deficiencies are at risk if exposed to illness.
Sicknesses that your child should be kept at home for include:
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea
- A fever
- A severe cough, constant sneezing or constant runny nose
- Headache, muscle aches, exhaustion or weakness
- A diagnosed, or suspected, communicable disease
- If for any other reason, your child is not well enough to participate in normal school activities.
Please keep sick children at home until they are well again. In the case of diarrhoea, the Health Department advises to keep children home for at least 48 hours after the diarrhoea has ceased.
If your child is diagnosed with a communicable disease such as chicken pox or measles, please notify the school immediately.
As a school, we are accountable to the Department of Education for the attendance of each student enrolled. By law, schools must record daily attendance for all enrolled students in accordance with the School Education Act (1999) (Section 28).
If your child is absent, please notify the school immediately by means of a phone call or email to ([email protected]) first thing in the morning and cc in your children’s class teacher.
If we have not received notification by 9:30am, we will contact you to enquire about your child’s absence.
If a student arrives late for the morning register they will need to be signed in at the office to amend their record from absent to late. This change needs to be made by the school office staff.
Absence Follow Up Notes
If notification is not received for an absence, a follow up note will be sent home for you to complete.
It is important that this note is completed and returned as soon as possible for auditing purposes by the Education Department.
We thank you for your understanding.
ACC P&F Committee
Term 2 P&F meetings:
- Monday 27 May
- Monday 17 June
Time: 6:00pm - 7:00pm
Child minding available
(please contact admin ahead for bookings)
Jiggle Bugs is the name of Australian Christian College Darling Downs Playgroup.
Jiggle Bugs meets every Tuesday morning and is for any child from 0-5 yrs old. Jiggle Bugs is a place where families can come and learn through play. A warm but safe engaging in developmentally stimulating and fun environment.
Natalee Graveson is the coordinator of this session.
You can follow the updates and let your friends know by going to the Jiggle-Bugs Facebook page.
Enrolments for 2019
Places for 2019 are filling up fast! We are excited about our continual growth. We hope you are excited too!
If you have a family member, friend, neighbour or colleague who has primary aged children who would benefit from joining our incredible learning community. Please let them know as we still have places left. Bring them in to meet Mrs Burrage who will be more than happy to show them around.
Latest at ACC
In Physical Science this term the students will be learning about how different types of movement of objects is dependent on factors like its size and shape. We have introduced the topic this week by looking at what has God created that moves. God has created people, animals and objects and the students put pictures and items into these three groups and talked about the ways each group can move.
Students in Years 1, 2 and 3 used card, tissue and crepe paper and coloured acetate to create a "Jesus is risen!" cross scene. Then we used the finished artwork to learn about opaque, translucent and transparent in our Science lesson.
The students in the year 4/5/6 class have been involved in hands on activities to learn more in their maths lessons. Our focus has been on place value and using the four operations; subtraction, addition, multiplication and division.
Term Dates for 2019
Term 1: Monday 4th February to Friday 12th April
Term 2: Monday 29th April to Friday 5th July
Term 3: Monday 29th July to Friday 27th September
Term 4: Monday 14th October to Thursday 5th December
Important Dates Term 2 2019
- Tuesday 14th May, Naplan Week
- Thursday 14th May, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Tuesday 14th May, God’s Squad (3-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Wednesday 15th May, Music Club (P-6) 3pm-4pm
- Thursday 16th May, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 17th May, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Tuesday 21st May, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Wednesday 22nd May, National Simultaneous Story Time
- Wednesday 22nd May, Music Club (P-6) 3pm-4pm
- Thursday 23rd May, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 24th May, Year 4/5/6 Assembly
- Friday 24th May, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Monday 27th May, Parents & Friends 6pm-7pm
- Tuesday 28th May, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Wednesday 29th May, Music Club (P-6) 3pm-4pm
- Thursday 30th May, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 31st May, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 31st May, National Reconciliation Bandana Day
- Tuesday 4th June, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Wednesday 5th June, Incursion, Koora Midi Incursion 9am - 10am
- Wednesday 5th June, Music Club (P-6) 3pm-4pm
- Thursday 6th June, Inter School Netball Year 3-6 girls
- Thursday 6th June, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 7th June, Year 1/2/3 Assembly
- Friday 7th June, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Tuesday 11th June, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Wednesday 12th June, Music Club (P-6) 3pm-4pm
- Thursday 13th June, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 14th June, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Tuesday 18th June, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Wednesday 25th June, Music Club (P-6) 3pm-4pm
- Thursday 20th June, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 21st June, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Monday 17th June, Excursion, Tree Planting
- Monday 17th June, Parents and Friends Meeting
- Monday 25th June, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Thursday 27th June, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 28th June, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 28th June, Kindy/Pre-Primary Assembly
- Tuesday 2nd July, God’s Squad 3pm - 4pm
- Thursday 4th July, Year P-2 Enrichment English 3pm - 4pm
- Friday 5th July, Crazy Hair Day
- Friday 5th July, Sport Club (P-6) 3pm - 4pm
Yours in Christ,
Click 'Google Calendar' to synchronise these events in your own calendar.