From the Principal
My husband and I have a practice which we do after family events. We call it a PMI, which stands for Plus, Minus and Interesting. We talk about what went well at the event, what didn’t, and any other interesting things that we can think of. It’s lots of fun, and helps us to build great memories together.
As we come to the end of 2018, we can all take the opportunity to reflect on the year that has been. Some successes that quickly come to my mind include the development of a team of wonderful staff, increased enrolments, a flourishing Playgroup, the introduction of excellent music and physical education programs, connections with community art projects, opportunities to join with, or compete in, inter school events, as well as our children growing and learning.
Australian Christian College is growing - in capacity, in character, and Christ. I can’t wait to see the amazing opportunities God will bring us in 2019!
We pray that you and your family will have a wonderful and restful holiday. We also pray for those of you who are travelling, that you will have God’s protection. Jesus is the reason for this festive season and we hope you can spend some time on Christmas Day remembering Jesus’ birth.
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.
ACC Playgroup - welcomes Jiggle Bugs 3.0
Jiggle Bugs, Australian Christian College Darling Downs Playgroup, has had a fantastic year, and continues to grow in numbers. The group meets every Tuesday morning, and this term the children have been having circus fun times, and will soon begin their Christmas celebrations. It has been so encouraging to see a few more new families visit.
The exciting news is that we will be launching a Wednesday group in 2019. It will be for children who will be 3 or more years old. Jiggle Bugs 3.0 is a place where families can come and learn through play in a warm, safe, engaging, developmentally stimulating and fun environment.
The focus of Jiggle Bugs 3.0 is on the needs and interests of all children, as individuals, and as a group, whilst incorporating the main developmental areas of Early Childhood Education – social, emotional, physical, spiritual and intellectual.
You can follow the updates, and let your friends know by going to the Jiggle-Bugs Facebook page.
Carols by Candlelight
Our ACCDD choir will join with two other local schools to lead the community in the City of Armadale Carols by Candlelight. Our choir will also join with community choirs, and be supported by the Armadale City Concert Band. We would love for you to join us in supporting our children. Bring an LED candle and come sing along with us.
Friday 7th December
6pm: Christmas Parade, Jull Street Mall, Armadale
7pm: Carols by Candlelight, Memorial Park, Armadale
In the true spirit of Christmas, on the night, you can bring along a non-perishable food item for the City’s annual Salvation Army Christmas Food Bank, to support those less fortunate in our community.
Things to do in the school holidays.
The long lazy days of summer are perfect for reading while relaxing.
Be sure to visit Armadale library over the break to check out a range of resources!
The friendly staff there will help you find what you are looking for and new members are always welcome.
Armadale Library is located inside the Armadale Central Shopping Centre at Shop 64/10, Orchard Avenue in Armadale and is open seven days a week and closed on all public holidays.
Sunday 12 noon-4pm
NEW ACC SPORTS UNIFORM
During the past 12 months our ACC corporate team has been working with a specialist school uniform company to custom design a new ACC sports uniform which is affordable yet durable. The new sports uniform will keep your children warm in winter and cool in summer. The new sports uniform is now available and the old sports uniform is no longer available for sale. 2019 is the transition year when some students will be wearing the new sports uniform and some the old. It would be good to have all our students wearing the new sports uniform by 2020. If you have any questions please feel free to email the School Office.
ACC STUDENT TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS
We have had quite a few parents asking for details on what Apple products to buy. The following guide may assist.
iPad for Primary school
Any one of the following iPad models are suitable:
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st generation)
- 11-inch iPad Pro
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
For those students completing ACER or NAPLAN testing, headphones are required in addition to the device. It is advised that a suitable case or cover should also be purchased to protect the device.
All our students are provided with a Google Suite Account.
Please ensure all devices are up to date and have the following software installed as a minimum requirement for laptops:
- Web browser recommendation - Chrome
- Adobe Reader DC (for PDF formatted files for Macbook Air’s only)
- The majority of “office-related” tasks will be completed using Google Apps.
- Year 3 and 5 students will need the NAPLAN Browser (The NAPLAN browser will need to be updated each year).
Contact the school if you have any questions about technology requirements.
BYOD procurement options now available
Good news recently received is that ACC corporate have partnered with CompNow and JBHifi and launched two BYOD procurement portals, providing an opportunity for parents to access BYOD devices for their children. Two vendors have been chosen to give parents the opportunity to "shop around" and find the best deal that will work for them. The links to these BYOD Portals will be made available on the ACC website soon but, in the meantime, see below for the links.
The main differences between the two portals are as follows:
- CompNow ships directly to a home address.
- JBHifi: If the school is within a 40km to the nearest JBHifi store, then only in-store collection is available. Otherwise, only shipping to the home/work address is available if the school is outside of 40km to the nearest JBhifi Store.
- CompNow does not require a code to access the portal.
- JBHifi requires a school code to access the portal as per the details provided below. This code will not be made available on the website and will require the parent calling in to get the code.
- Admin Access
- JBHifi provides an admin portal for admin staff to access to view recent orders as well as delivery information.
JBHifi Login Details:
- For Parents:
- URL https://www.jbeducation.com.au/byod
- School code ACCSTHBYOD
Enrolments for 2019
Places for 2019 are filling up fast, and we are excited about our continued growth, and hope you are too.
If you have a family member, friend, neighbour or colleague who has Primary aged children who would benefit from joining our incredible learning community, let them know we are now open for 2019 enrolments.
Bring them in to meet Mrs Burrage, who will be happy to show them around.
Primary Happy Snaps
We have had a fantastic week at ACC, with so much discovery and learning. Our Happy Snaps capture some of the experiences that we want to share with you.
Term 4 2018
- Tuesday 4th December, ‘Quiz Works’ whole school Incursion.
- Wednesday 5th December, FINAL DAY OF TERM 4. Reports go home today!
- Friday 7th December, Armadale City, Carols Evening.
Term Dates for 2019
Term 1: Monday 4th February to Friday 12th April
Term 2: Monday 29th April to Friday 5th July
Term 3: Monday 29th July to Friday 27th September
Term 4: Monday 14th October to Thursday 12th December
Important Dates Term 1 2019
- Friday 1st February, Meet the Teacher, 2pm - 3pm.
- Monday 4th February, Students commence Term 1.
- Tuesday 5th February, Playgroup commences 9am - 10.30am.
- Wednesday 6th February Early Learners Playgroup (3+) commences 9am-11am
- Parent/Teacher meetings (Date & Time to be arranged)
- Tuesday 19th February, P & F Meeting (AGM) 6pm.
- Monday 4th March, Labour Day Public Holiday.
Week 7 & 8
- Monday 18/3/19 - Friday 29/3/19, Swimming Lessons for Years 3 - 6.
Yours in Christ,
Click 'Google Calendar' to synchronise these events in your own calendar.